Clower & Son

The firm was established in the late 1800's as builders and over the years it has progressed through a series of family generations and changes in structure and services. Prior to the first World War the core activity was building and the merchanting side developed when local people came to the builders yard to enquire as to whether materials could be bought. This was the start of the builders merchants. The joiners shop, which was established between the Wars, was to provide purpose made goods for the house building and was later to provide the joinery required for the firm developing a Funeral Directors business, the transport consisted of a horse and cart which doubled as a hearse at the week-ends. At the onset of the second World War merchanting became the driving force, as it is up to the present day. We are proud to state that the business is continuing as a private family concern.